February 21, 2017
Request for Proposals: Innovative Pilot Stem Cell Research Projects Grant from The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation
The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation will continue its commitment to supporting scientists and their ideas by providing up to $1 million in funding for innovative pilot research projects that are in the early stages of exploration. Projects could be in the basic or clinical areas of stem cell research. The funds are intended to help investigators generate enough data for an initial proof of concept that would ultimately lead to larger and longer-term funding by other organizations.
Applications should be no longer than 3 pages with attached supportive information of no more than 3 pages. The application should address:
- the innovative nature of the proposal
- relevance of proposed research to human disease
- scientific approach and methodology
- expected outcomes
- qualification of applicant
Applicants should have a faculty appointment in any department at an institution affiliated with the Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at USC, the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCLA, or the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCSF.
Applications will be judged by two active investigators from each of the three Broad-funded stem cell research centers at UCLA, USC and UCSF.
The maximum funding will be $125,000 per application for a period of one year.
Technical questions will be accepted electronically by Dr. Daniel Hollander at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The timeline for applications is as follows:
- May 1, 2017: Internal application deadline for each center’s review
- June 1, 2017: Six applications from each center submitted to The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation
- July 1, 2017: Reviewers from each center will receive applications and instructions for review
- August 1, 2017: Announcement of eight finalist applications
For USC Stem Cell faculty, please send your applications to Dr. Qing Liu (email@example.com) by 5 p.m. on May 1, 2017.